Skip to content ↓
Blackfen School for Girls

Blackfen School for Girls

Raising aspirations - releasing potential

Childcare BTEC

CHILDREN’S PLAY, LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT

National Extended Certificate

Exam board: Edexcel

Why study this subject: 

This qualification is particularly appropriate for students with an interest in progressing to a career involved with working with children in an early year’s (0-7 years 11 months) related field, who want to pursue an academic route alongside other qualifications

Units:

UNIT 1  Children’s development

UNIT 2  Development of children’s communication, literacy and numeracy

UNIT 3  Play and learning

UNIT 5  Keeping children safe

How will I be assessed: 

Unit 1 is an exam (1 hour 45 minutes)

Unit 2 task externally marked

Units 3 and 5 are coursework

A Pass, Merit or Distinction must be achieved in each unit. Unit 1 and Unit 2 are external units and count for 66% of the qualification.  The other two units are coursework count for 34% of the qualification over the 2 years. Coursework will be assessed through written assignments, presentations, case studies, observations and practical work. Students must also complete 50 hours in a placement, this can be in a school or nursery working with children aged 0-7 years. 11 months.

Future course and possible careers:  

Higher Education to study primary teaching, childhood studies, midwifery and paediatric nursing

Teaching assistant in a school

Early years educator apprenticeship