Key Stage 4 Course Selection Process
Blackfen School for Girls - Key Stage 4 Course Selection Process
Key dates, events and deadlines for Year 9 parents, carers and students
Year 9 students select their Key Stage 4 courses for study in Year 10 and Year 11 in the Spring term, thereby beginning their transition from Key Stage 3 into Key Stage 4. These decisions are exciting, serious and very important, which is why the input of family support and guidance is absolutely essential.
The schedule below sets out the timeline of events which support the selection of Key Stage 4 courses. Parents, carers and students should note the dates and events carefully, while considering the options available for study in Key stage 4, as well as the support and guidance offered by the school.
November – December 2023
• Students: Key Stage 4 course selection assembly (1) on 23.11.23: Lights, Camera, Action!
• Parents/Carers: Presentation for Key stage 4 course selection Assembly is available in Microsoft Teams
• Students: Receive guidance booklet ‘Year 9 preparation for Key Stage 4 course selection’'
• Students/Parents/Carers: Complete and 'sign off' specific pages in the guidance booklet
• Students/Parents/Carers: Log into ‘Kudos’ with students to browse education and career options
January – March 2024
• Students: Small-group careers interviews in school with ‘CER Education’ careers adviser
• Students: Key stage 4 course selection assembly (2) - ‘Making the best choice’
• Students: Key Stage 4 course selection "Spotlights" – Mini meetings about specific KS4 courses
• Students/Parents/Carers: Attend Year 9 Information Evening on 8.2.24 about Key Stage 4 course
• Students/Parents/Carers: Mini film available on the school website - ‘The Subject Leader guides to Key Stage 4 courses’
• Students/Parents/Carers: Attend Year 9 Parents Evening in school on 22.2.24:
All Green Community, all Red Community and Blue Communities 1 – 4
• Students/Parents/Carers: Attend Year 9 Parents Evening in school on 29.2.24:
All Yellow Community, all Purple Community, and Blue Communities 5 – 9
• Parents/Carers: Wednesday 6th March 2024 - Submit online course selection form.
• Students: Week beginning 11th March 2024 - Interviews in school with a member of the Leadership Team to confirm course selection