BTEC Level 3 National in Sport
Exam board: Edexcel
Why study this subject:
This stimulating and challenging vocational course is for students who intend to study for a degree or follow a career in Sport and Recreation. It covers a wide variety of topics including the theory and practical aspects of sport. This is a two year course, equivalent to one A Level.
How will I be assessed:
Assessment in this course is done through coursework and externally assessed units.
The styles of external assessment used for qualifications in sport are:
• Examinations – all learners take the same assessment at the same time, normally with a
• Set tasks – learners take the assessment during a defined window and demonstrate
understanding through completion of a vocational task.
Each Unit includes a number of different assignments. These are then marked to a Pass,
Merit or Distinction level.
Future course and possible careers:
· A degree in Sports Studies, Sport and Exercise Science, Sports Management, Sports Injury or Rehabilitation
· A career as a PE teacher or Sports Coach
· A career working within the Fitness Training Industry, Leisure Centres, Sports Development and Coaching are also popular, as are careers in Sports Therapy
· Apprenticeships within the sports industry for example within Fitness Training, Sports Marketing